Thursday, May 21, 2009

May 21: "Attention all Visa and Mastercard holders" scam from "credit card services"

Man's voice: "Attention all Visa and Mastercard holders. This is an urgent message from credit card services. Your credit card interest rates and monthly payments may be scheduled to increase this month. Press the six now to speak to a live agent. As a valued customer, you have been selected to have your rates reduced to a low fixed rate as low as six point nine percent. Save thousands in interest and finance charges now. Press the six now to speak to a live agent. Press the six now."

What's the deal with pressing six to be scammed instead of pressing one to be scammed? I hope it's in reaction to answering machines or other automated systems fucking with them by making the one tone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Beloved Spear said...

Hey...try NOT HANGING UP after they hang up on you. Today, I found that for some reason, they are not able to disconnect the call. I stayed on the line with them like a leech from hell for nearly thirty minutes. They couldn't shake me.

It has something to do with their computer system, so they may resolve it...but it's kinda satisfying in the meantime.

June 11, 2009 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather called me too and it was very annoying. After a few weeks, my family called the police. I assume you have done this already but popular resistance to people like that won't seem important when it IS.

May 19, 2011 5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just received a call and when I asked for verification or tried to get them to send the offer via mail the "gentleman" became very combatant and talked over me implying that I was stupid for not taking the offer. When I told him there was no such company as "Visa and Mastercard Services" since they are separate companies altogether HE told ME to stop wasting his time. I told him to put me on a no-call list so I'll see if he will try again.

July 18, 2011 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, they will try to convince you that giving your credit card number only is not a security risk for you!

July 18, 2011 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home